01 June 2010

Looking for me...


I do wish I had a wonderful story to tell you...but it is me, so,when last we spoke, I had guests.

Unbeknownst to them, I was feeling a bit under the weather (unless they remember the time I threw the ice tray or melted down when the television remote failed to respond to my touch!) with a bad tooth.



After they left I went to my dentist in D.C. who immediately sent me to the oral surgeon. I returned with a fat jaw and a sack of antibiotics.

Upon my return to West Virginia, my modem was dead.

It would take 5 to 7 days to get my modem replaced during optimum circumstances, however...




...it would soon be Memorial Day and the USPS and Fed Ex and UPS would not be delivering during the long weekend.


The lack of mail also slowed the progress of the flea medication that my cats DESPERATELY needed...


... so the weekend was spent with itchy and scratchy.


Still feeling woozy but with little else to do I did some work in the garden where I pulled a tendon in my left hand and screamed like baby. I am left-handed, so every time I tried to do anything, like scratch my nose, I yelled. The next day, my hand looked as though a large purple turtle had taken up residence on the back of my hand.

After two days, I was again able to close my hand so, undaunted, I returned to the garden. Where I was stung in the face by a wasp.



It is now Memorial Day and I still have tomato plants to set out and it looks like rain. I head back to the garden in long pants, a long sleeved T-shirt, a do-rag tied around my head and a scarf around my neck, sunglasses and gloves. Not one item of clothing I was wearing matched anything else but with a swollen jaw, a fat cheek and gigantic useless hand, I didn't much care. I resembled for all the world Little Edie Beale's poor cousin.



As I was digging away, I looked up to see the Census Bureau worker. I sent in my Census but according to him, the bureau did not receive my copy. So I did it again, gave him some gardening advice, and retired for the day.


As Scarlett O'Hara would say, "Tomorrow, tomorrow's another day."

TODAY:

I took my last antibiotic.

The flea medicine arrive.

The cats got treated.

The swelling in my face has gone down.

I can almost make a fist with my left hand.

AND... the modem arrived. (Though the Fed Ex guy looked a bit frightened when I offered to kiss him.)


Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Lincoln, Scarlett, and Little Edie, We do hope for a better tommorow for you three. Faith in the stars that someone else will receive all your troubles and they in return will past it on to other talented brave souls like yourself. Loving your blog, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tour de force, & all for Us! Brava. little LULU!
    (my own fear of a dentist is on the level of zazu pitts in mcteague-you have my greatest sympathies)

    ReplyDelete
  3. time... heals all. Still and all...sheesh!

    Good gardening outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for all of the woes at Doe Run. I think gin makes for a good exorcism. Do report back.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin