16 June 2010

The Fabulous Beekman Boys


Tonight is the premiere of The Fabulous Beekman Boys a kind of Green Acres with an overachieving gay doctor and his ex-drag queen boyfriend who make soap from goats milk. Sounds 'fab" to me. As one of those drop- off-the-map-to-the-middle-of-nowhere-to-become-bucolic, I relate. The show is on the green planet network which used to be another network till green got so chic. honestly, I never knew I go the green planet channel till I set up the TIVO to record The Fabulous Beekman Boys.


Here's the added plus -- there's a book entitled The Bucolic Plague. It is very funny and a good insight into what happens when "city folk" move to the country. I'm a bit jealous because the Beekman Boys moved to a gigantic mansion in the country but not jealous of the gigantic upkeep. I sympathised when their mid-winter thermometer was set at 50 degrees. I don't have a mansion but trying to heat my three bedrooms was enough to break my bank!

The New York Times has a somewhat snotty review of the show, so just ignore it. Along with each weeks program, the boys are offering up a lovely cocktail to serve during the show. What country squires they are. (Though not particularly Southern, we are giving them style points for show cocktails.)

Check out Josh and Brent's web site Beekman 1802 to buy soap or get a nice cocktail recipe and always remember...

Land spreadin' out so far and wide,
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

2 comments:

  1. I have to go back and read this, I just read a few lines an I am still laughing,,

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. I came back I will have to check this book out. The show sounds like a good one.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin