20 September 2011

Cocktails at the Burn Pit -- Blueberry Vodka Tonic


This installment of Cocktails at the Burn Pit comes to you from the sunny shores of Delaware. At the beach, the only thing that gets burned is one's soft and white underbelly. (I did use that SPF stuff and a shirt, but I just felt I wasn't getting enough sun and then...but I digress.)



So there was no burn pit but as always there were cocktails. The house drink, where I was a guest, was the ever popular G&T. But when I arrived, the G&T got a little twist.

This summer, I was inundated with blueberries, a very great thing to be inundate with, so I made jam and pies and ice cram and salads. I froze bags of blueberries, so in the darkness of winter, I could make more jam and think of summer and still, I had blueberries. The last few handfuls that I thought might get all gunky before I could deal with them, got dealt with. I dropped them into a partially full bottle of vodka and set out to make blueberry vodka.

Blueberry Vodka

1 partially consumed bottle of vodka
2-3 cups of blueberries

Drop the blueberries into the vodka. Shake on occasion. Wait a month or so. Strain.

I took my blueberry vodka to the beach where it received a less than enthusiastic reception. Finally, it rose to the head of the cocktail list and got the opportunity to shine. I took a few blueberries from the house and dipped them in an egg white wash and rolled them in sugar for a garnish. And then...

Blueberry Vodka Tonics

1 ounce blueberry vodka
4 ounces tonic

Fill a glass with ice. Pour in one ounce blueberry vodka. Fill with tonic. Give it a quick stir. Garnish with blueberries.


Beach, burn pit, breakfast nook, it really doesn't matter. This one is a keeper. And to think I wasted all those blueberries on pie when I could have made vodka!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... this sound delish, and must be tried next summer at Darlington House. I can't wait!
    Thanks, Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a good vodka tonic to start the day trust me.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin